Wednesday, June 22, 2005


Fruits of June

Until about 40 years ago, rhubarb pies were as popular as apple pies. So popular, in fact, that the rhubarb plant was known simply as Pie Plant. Everyone had one in their garden, and certainly on their farm. The plant I have is a cutting from my husband's family farm, and the original plant is said to be 100 years old.

I look forward to May for the lilacs and lily-of-the-valley, but June's the month when the showstopper flowers compete with the edibles. Strawberries and rhubarb don't compete with each other. They team up for the season's first edible favorite: strawberry rhubarb crisp.

What does all this have to do with renovating a house? Nothing at all...except for the inner turmoil I have when I rush through the garden on my way to the project. We both wish we could spend more lazy afternoons weeding or sipping coronas on the patio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home