Monday, October 17, 2005


Gol Dang Cursed Radiators!!!!

Seriously, folks. Will the radiator insanity NEVER END?! This predicament is more than mind-boggling. It's all a cruel joke, I just know it!

So we go through all the hoops to get the radiators to the house. I had the forsight to get to the salvage yard the moment they opened the doors, because I had a feeling that a transaction like this would take more time than necessary (it did). I also had the foresight to call a piano moving company to meet us at the house to remove them from the truck because I knew they would be too heavy for me and C to manage (they were) (oooooh I am so dang smart sometimes it's scary).

What do piano movers look like? Close your eyes and imagine. Then snap back to our reality on this fateful Saturday. These two youngsters rolled up, and I was like, "Where's the beef?" Combined, they didn't weigh 150 pounds. You know the rest of the story, and this photo tells it all. The could only get one out of the truck, and only got it as far as the edge of the porch.

Now close your eyes and picture me frantically dialing up every piano mover in the phone book, trying to get one open on Saturday, at 2:30, just waiting to drop everything to help a couple of folks out with some serious iron.

Second try. Enter: The Beef. These two muscled men hauled the three radiator out of the truck and up to the second floor without even breaking a sweat...and they used only muscles and canvas straps. Human machines! Human machines that took our $300 bucks to the bank, laughing, all the way to the bank.

Stay tuned. We still have to hook up the radiators. History has shown us that things don't go so smoothly when dealing with these things.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hired piano movers to get a little paino from the In-Laws' house to our place. They were like Abbott and Costello, or maybe more like Jack Spratt and his wife: one short, skeletal guy in a tank-top weighed maybe 110 lbs and the other guy, wearing one of those blonde leather kidney weight-lifter belts, was a good 225 lbs.
I didn't see the load in across town, but when they showed up I almost snorted milk out my nose. They got the piano down the ramp from the big truck, up our rutted driveway, up two stairs, into the house, around the corner...and then they ran into my wife.
We had just put down a Pergo floor, and so she had them move it a little this way, no there, no back -- but always up in the air instead of rolling on its wheels.
Finally, with the fat guy wedged face-first into a corner and holding the piano with his arms at full extension ON ONE FOOT (no lie!), she makes them lift it one-more-time so she can fuss with a scrap of carpet under the wheels.
I swear, I thought his eyeballs were going to burst like squeezed grapes.
Then they thanked us politely and went on their way. Best $250 we ever spent, hands down.
-Will E.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me again.

A friend bought a townhouse down behind the Cathedral a good ten years ago. He got the unit with all the oak doors from the whole building, so he had to barter with the guy downstairs whose unit had all the radiators.

I also helped him sheetrock the place. My brothers had helped unload the sheetrock from the truck bed up onto his second-floor (or third?) porch, so they knew better than to show up to help hang the stuff. :7)

Good times, good times...

-Will E.

1:12 PM  
Blogger nutty bird said...

I missed the boom delivery of the sheetrock. Chris said it was pretty cool, though.

One lesson we've learned- of many, but this one is hands down at the top of the list- don't lift anything we can pay somebody else to lift.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home